Thursday, March 6, 2008

UNAM Life

Unfortunately, UNAM has had a rash of thefts since more faculty have been using laptops. We cannot leave laptops in our office unattended, even while we are using the restroom! I’m so glad I got a new lightweight one, as I bring it with me everywhere. Three of the people who live in UNAM village have had laptops stolen in the past two months. The thieves simply break open the wooden doors of the offices (or cut a hole through the door), so locking the door doesn’t help. Luckily, my door also has a metal gate on it, so my office is much safer. However, yesterday someone tried to break into my office while I was in it, as the gate was unlatched. I sure surprised her when I said “hello,” and the hallway was empty by the time I opened the door.

UNAM is an open-air campus. All the hallways are outside, and there are courtyards in the middle of the buildings with trees and plants growing. There are few if any gardeners, so pretty much, whatever grows, grows. But, it is quite pretty in the courtyards, and lots of birds fly around through campus hallways and classrooms. This morning, as I was sitting at my desk, a bird flew right in my office and perched on my bookshelf. It didn’t stay too long tough. I also have a pet moth that lives in my office, which is about the size of a bird. It is beautiful, but we keep our distance from each other.

1 comment:

The Bedfords said...

Hello- We're all enjoying your postings on the blog. I bought my plane ticket to Namibia this week. I emailed my itinerary to you at your "umn" email. Looking forward to you!

Love,
Shannon